Monday, April 30, 2007

April 30, 2007

It was eight years ago today when my life took a drastic turn down a new and very scary path. My mom and dad have talked about that day so long ago when the world seemed to stop.

April 30, 1999 was a Friday. Mom went home for lunch to make some food for the weekend because the Mackie family was going to come visit. She went back to work after lunch, and a police officer was standing at her desk. He said, "Are you Julie Powers?" She answered, "Yes." The policeman said there had been an incident with her child and Mom said, "What hospital?" He said Mineral Area, and she told him to meet her there, she was on her way. She ran out of the bank and drove as fast as she could to the hospital, not knowing which "child" she would find there. She was sure it was Ian - that maybe he fell off the playground equipment at daycare and had broken a bone. She was not prepared for what she found - I was in the ER surrounded by a trauma team, trying to get me stabilized. She called Dad at his work and told him to get to the hospital right away.

The nurses told Mom that I had stopped breathing and that the babysitter wasn't sure if I had been out for 10 or 15 minutes - she administered CPR until the emergency team got to her house. (Thank God she knew infant CPR!)

After some very tense moments, Dad and Mom were told that I would be sent to Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital on the helicopter. The flight team would be arriving shortly and they should go ahead and drive to the hospital to meet me there. Grandpa and Grandma Ross were out of town, but when they heard the news, they drove to St. Louis, too.

Dad and Mom drove as fast as they could with their lights flashing all the way. (Did you know you could make it to downtown St. Louis from Farmington in 45 minutes?) They even beat the helicopter somehow, so they were there when I arrived. They saw me in the hallway being wheeled by on the gurney - Mom said I was gray - very, very gray. Everyone was very scared for me. Finally I was stabilized enough that I was sent to the ICU.

I had a lot of tests done on me to figure out what happened. What caused me to stop breathing? Well, that is a mystery - the first of many in my life. Mom is convinced that it was due to my body not really liking all the immunizations at my two-month check-up. Four shots was just too much for my body to handle. We will never know for sure.

I spent the next five weeks at the hospital, where I underwent surgery and lots and lots of care. When I finally got to go home, Mom and Dad weren't sure what life would be like. The nurses, doctors, therapists and other hospital staff had told them that 95% of marriages break up when there is a sick child in the house like me. They said they would have nothing to do with that and pretty much, they were in it together, for better or worse. They would take care of me and each other, and Ian, too, and we were a family. That's that.

Well, here it is eight years later. Ian is 10 years old and almost as tall as Mom. We've added another family member (Thor), plus we have a whole lot of "other" family members, too. All my nurses and therapists and teachers who have been a part of my life during this journey. I have been so blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life - all of them dedicating themselves to helping me get better. AND I HAVE GOTTEN BETTER! I know all the prayers have made a difference. I think I have really surprised some of the doctors, to tell you the truth.

I will never know why this "thing" happened to me eight years ago. In the end, I guess it doesn't matter, does it? It happened. I am who I am, and I love my family - all of them. Thank you to EVERYONE who is part of my life. I am a happy, happy girl. I feel love every day. You are all very special to me!

Please leave me a message. I love to hear from you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emma. I work with your wonderful mom at the bank. You are very lucky to have such a special lady as your mommy, but I can tell you already know that.

It sounds like you have had an incredible 8 years. I'm sure that God has been beside you all the way and I know he will never leave your side. You sure have gone to a lot of work just to be a princess haven't you? What a strong little girl you are.

I have a friend who has a dog named Thor too. She loves her dog very much. It sounds like you really enjoy going to the country. I love to look at the beautiful flowers, but boy they sure make me sneeze.

I can't wait to hear how well you are doing over the next 8 years. Praying for you often.

Angie

Anonymous said...

Emma, I thank God for you daily. You truly are a very special girl. I want you to know that you have touched so many lives and that YOU give so much more than you are given. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your life. Thanks for singing with me and for listening when I talk. You are one of the greatest gifts in my life.

Love & prayers, Sandy

Anonymous said...

Emma,

You have a wonderful and strong family (Like you didn't know, right)

I am so glad you are here on earth today Emma; and with God, family and friends, I pray you will bless us all for many more years to come. (doesn't that sound like a hallmark card :)

Love you Emma - Have a Wonderful Day!

Mom, just think..........4 days from the auction will be a complete success and you can breath a little easier. Its going to be the best auction ever!!!!! Thanks for all your hard work.

Sharon

Joy and Rob said...

Good Afternoon Emma,

I bet you wonder why you haven't heard from me in a long time - well, maybe not - you know how bad I am at things.

I check your site every week for an update and keep thinking I'll remember to look up the account I set up under Google (when I get home at night) and I ALWAYS FORGET! So, I just decided today to create a new account and WRITE IT DOWN at work!

Since I'm also bad about calling - I always look forward to seeing what you have said week to week. It is hard to believe it has been 8 years. Wow! And you are growing up so beautiful. You are so lucky to have your family care so much and they are very lucky to have you to brighten their lives too!

I don't know about you but I am very tired of all this rain we are having. I know we have to have it to make the grass green and the pretty flowers but I can't wait to see the sunshine - hopefully this weekend.

So much has been going on in your lives - with Grandpa having his heart attack ( I hope he is following doctors orders (and Grandma's orders!) and continuing to get better. And what is up with your Dad and a new job and traveling? I'm sure he misses you, Ian, your mom and Thor when he is gone.

All I can say is you have two incredible parents ... and an incredible big brother too!

I promise to write more often.

Love, Fairy Godmother Joy and Uncle Rob