Monday, June 4, 2007

June 4, 2007

This past weekend was Country Days in Farmington. It's a big festival with a parade, games, carnival rides, music, etc. Ian and Mom were busy on Friday and Saturday with all the festivities because Mom's work is very involved with it. On Saturday, Ian won third place in the pedal tractor pull contest. He brought home a trophy with a gold tractor on it. He didn't have anything like that. I've only seen soccer and baseball trophies in his room. This one is very different! I never knew my brother was a farmer deep down. Ha!

Luckily the rain seemed to magically miss us the whole weekend, so I was able to go outside quite a bit. Today I went outside and my eyelids ended up getting very puffy. I must be allergic to something out there today.

I've been doing pretty well lately, except for one major problem - my stomach. Just when Mom and Dad thought the new formula had solved the issue with stuff leaking out of my stomach around my feeding tube, it started all over again. My skin was really healed up nicely, and it felt great. Then last Monday, it started leaking again and - BAM! The stomach acid started eating up the skin around my feeding tube again. Today it looks horrible. Mom said it makes her cry to look at it, and I'll tell you. . . it makes me cry, too. It really hurts. My skin is really torn up about an inch around the hole in my stomach. Mom and Dad, Grandma and all the nurses have tried so many things to help it, but nothing seems to be working. Mom was pulling her hair out trying to think of something. Now we're just trying to keep it clean and dry - no dressings, no creams. They're hoping that might help. I basically have to lie on my wedge all day because every time I sit in my chair, my button leaks.

For instance, Mom had to put me in my chair when she got home from work because she had to make dinner for Ian (and herself). So I had to go into the kitchen with her. When she fed me my green bean puree through the tube and gave me my medicine, it only took about 60 seconds before green beens started leaking out around the tube. She was trying really hard to keep it cleaned up.

Please pray for my tummy to get better. It's making me - and everyone else - crazy!

Dad is back in New Jersey this week. He had to have emergency dental surgery yesterday and oh my, he was not a happy camper. Luckily he has the very best dentist in town! (Plus, since he had his "procedure" on Sunday after church, Mom even helped as Grandpa's assistant. She said she hadn't done that for 20 years!) Dad had to sleep a lot yesterday, but he said it feels better today. I'm glad he didn't have any problems on the plane!

Mom is going on a Horizons Club trip this week to Hannibal and Nauvoo, Illinois. She said that the other directors had to go to Hawaii on a cruise, while some others have to go to Ireland in the Fall. She gets to go to Hannibal, though, so she's just sure everyone is really jealous! She will be gone Wednesday and Thursday, but never fear - Grandma and Grandpa will make sure everything runs smoothly once again.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week. Love to you all! (Don't forget to leave me a message. I love to have Mom read me my "fan mail.")

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emma....................Grandpa Ross really loves to read all about your adventures in living.........aren't you glad your Mommy is so talented to oversee your care......I SURE AM !!!

Hugs and kisses from here in my DENTAL SHOPPE"

LOVE YA BUNCHES

Grandpa Ross

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Emma,
It sounds like you had an excited weekend. Country days is definately fun! Hope you have fun this week.

Anonymous said...

Emma,

I agree............I think something is in the air this week. My sinuses have been making my head hurt.

I hate to hear your tummy isn't doing well. I will say special prayers for the healing of your button...........and that your mom's hair grows back where she pulled it out:) Seriously, being in pain is no fun.

Seen your mom and Ian at Country Days Saturday. I didn't recongize Ian with his hat on at first. We had a lot of fun, but spent way to much money on things. Tell Ian congratulations on the tractor pull.

Have a great Day. God bless, Sharon

Anonymous said...

Hi Emma! Uncle Kevin here! Aunt Janet and I sure like to read your blog! You keep us up to date on all the fun in Farmington that we don't always hear about otherwise. (Ian won a trophy? cool!)
We sure hope your stomach heals soon. We always keep you in our thoughts and prayers, but we'll send up a few extra about your stomach.
We sure love you and wish we could visit. Maybe someday when Janet is "feeling better..." Love you,
Uncle Kevin

Joy and Rob said...

Hi Emma,

Just checking in again - what a weekend you had. That's great about Ian too. When you all come to Kansas City, Ian will have to drive Rob's big tractor! - But he might need a little help because it is BIG and doesn't have power steering!

Sorry about your tummy! Gosh, what next? Hope something is figured out soon.

Rob's feet are healing and now he needs to figure out what he is going to do for a job since he can't climb those beams anymore or carry/lift anything heavy because of his neck. The doctor released him to go back to work but we just don't know what that will be. God is going to have to send us a sign!

You take care and tell everybody hi for us.

Love, Joy and Rob

Anonymous said...

Emma,
I know it has only been one week since I saw you last, but I miss you so! I am soooo glad that you and your mommy create this blog so that I can keep up with you since I won't get to see you every week. I talked to Grandma Ross this morning and she told me you had a very bad morning. I just wanted you to know that I'm praying for you and if you or your family need anything you just call me. I hope you are feeling much better.
Love ya lots,
Holly