Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I've had some visitors the last few days. Since I've been home from the hospital, I've already seen all my nurses: Nicole, Sandy, Diane and Caroline. It was so good to see them again. The nurses at Cardinal Glennon are very nice, but it's just not the same as my "home" nurses!

My friend Eileen came to visit me on Sunday. She was the Sunday School teacher for third and fourth grade, so she brought the lesson to me. It was so nice to have her here, and she says she'll be back every other week with the lesson.

I've also seen my physical therapist (Jan), my speech therapist (Kathy) and my teacher (Paula). They're all trying to get me back into "summer school" mode. I'm not sure who my new occupational therapist will be since OT Sherri is going back and forth to the hospital every day to see her new babies at St. John's.

Now, here's the best part of the week: My Uncle Kevin was here from California! Not only did I get to see him, but he also came to see Grandma to wish her a happy birthday in person, and he was helping Grandma and Grandpa clean the garage. (Mom says that is NOT a fun job.) Ian spent the night at Grandma's house each night Uncle Kevin was here, but I stayed home with Mom. (He came to see me during the day, though!)

Aunt Jenny, Cousin Addison and Uncle Ryan (from Mississippi) will be here for Mom's birthday (firecracker day). Mom said that Grandma Powers, Uncle Don, Aunt Marie and Cousin Asher will be coming to visit me soon, too. They might all be here at the same time. Wow! This is going to be a great summer!

If YOU want to come visit me, just let Mom and Dad know. They'll make sure you don't come on the day of a doctor's appointment. Every now and then those things pop up on my busy social calendar! :)

I've had some really good days since I got home Friday night, and I've only had one episode that required the ambu-bag (and that one only needed a couple of "puffs"). We're all glad about that. It's good to breathe, you know? Take a deep breath and see how good that feels to fill up your lungs. We take that for granted, don't we? So not only should we stop to smell the roses every now and then, I guess we should also stop to take a deep breath, too, and just thank God that we're alive!

My mom talked to my former teacher, Kelly, yesterday. (She's the one who fell off the balcony and broke her back a couple of weeks ago.) She has been moved to a rehab center in St. Louis. I'm so worried about her. She was such a great teacher, and I loved going to school to see her. She really made me work hard and she taught me so much! (She even put me in time out a couple of times when I was being stubborn. She sent home a note to Mom and Dad to tell them I wasn't cooperating one day. I know that sounds kind of mean, but I deserved it because she knew I could do the work, I was just being stubborn.)

After I had my tracheostomy last summer, I had to have school at home instead of going to Roosevelt. So I didn't get to ride on the bus with my friend Joe, and I didn't get to see Miss Kelly at school or my other friends all last year (but I didn't end up getting all the sicknesses everyone else got last year, so that's good!).

Miss Kelly is being very optimistic and says that when the swelling in her back goes down, she hopes to regain use of her legs. She has some feeling and some tingling, but her toes are still numb. She has two rods and seven pins in her back. Everybody, please say prayers for her!

Well, it's 9 p.m. and I should be asleep now. Good night, everyone!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I'm so glad you're doing better! That's neat that Unlce Kevin was home. I wish I could have seen him. Only one week away until I see you!! YAY!!!!:)

Love,

Addison

Gena Chung said...

Emma, you don't know me, but I am a good friend of your Aunt Jen's. We grew up together, and your grandma and grandpa watched me grow up with her. I reached your website through your Aunt Jen, and I have to tell you that I am so inspired by you and the love and support of your family. If there was EVER a real princess in this whole entire world it is most definitely YOU! Because a real princess doesn't just wear fancy dresses and tiaras--- a REAL princess's beauty is in the way she lives every single day of her life. And her courage, strength, love and joy touch everyone around her, making others want to be just like her. I can see your shining light all the way over here in Maryland, and that's pretty far from Missouri! I'll keep saying prayers for you. I know we've never met, but I send my love to you, too!

Your friend from Maryland,
Gena

Joy and Rob said...

Hi Emma,

Just checking in to see how you are doing. I gotta call your Mom and talk to her to get a more recent update.

I am hoping to hear that things have been going better each day as you are at home.

Take care - love and kisses.

Joy and Rob