It's 12:30 p.m. (even though the "blog time" won't agree). I'm hanging out with Nurse Sandy today while Mom is at the bank and Dad is in New Jersey. I have a lot to say today, so I hope I can get it all in...
We got some very bad news last night. One of my teachers, Angie James, passed away unexpectedly yesterday. I am so sad that she is gone. I am very sad for her two little kids - our mommies are so important and now they won't have one! I wish I could help them. I don't understand why she died. It doesn't make any sense to me. A lot of things don't make sense to me, though, like why people get sick and have bad things happen to them. It's very hard sometimes to understand God's plan, but I try to leave it in His hands.
Last night, a good friend of mine came to read to me. His name is Jacob. Before I had to stay home for school, Jacob was in my Library class with me at Roosevelt, and he would pick out books for me to take home. He came over with his mom (who is one of my nurses) and read one of his books to me for a whole hour! It was so great having a friend here. I love to hear stories, and he kept reading and reading and reading. I hope he gets to come again sometime.
On Monday I went to the city with Mom and Grandma. I had two doctors' appointments, so we left about an hour early and went shopping at Trader Joe's before my first appointment. I had never been in a grocery store before. It was so different! It was very cold in there because there were so many refrigerator cases. I only cried once. Mom and Grandma got some "cool stuff" that's supposed to be healthy.
I saw my neurologist, and he said I was much more alert and had better oral control this time. He looked deep into my eyes and said everything looked good. He was very happy with me and said I was doing well. No changes to any of my medications, and I don't have to see him again until November.
Then after that appointment, we went to the cemetery where Great-Grandpa and Great-Grandma Berkley are buried. It was a very pretty day. Grandma Ross wanted to take some pictures, so Mom and I went with her. I got to sit outside in the pretty grass under the shade tree for a while.
In the afternoon, I saw the ENT. He said my trach stoma looked "beautiful!" He told Mom that I obviously have extremely good care, which I would have told him if he had asked me... Anyway, he asked Mom if she knew why I had gained so much weight in the last nine months. She told him she thought I was going through a growth spurt or something, but he said, "No, it's because she can breathe now." We were all kind of confused, but he explained that my body was burning so many calories just trying to breathe and stay alive before my tracheostomy, that now that I can breathe easier because that tube is keeping my airway open, my body doesn't have to work as hard. So I've gained weight. (I could have told him that I was just trying to keep up with Mom's weight gain, but she wouldn't have liked that. Anyway, she's trying to get that under control.)
Last weekend's trip to the country was very fun. It was a gorgeous day. I got to see the horses and dogs out there, and Ian got to drive a 4-wheeler for a couple of hours. He was very happy!
Well, I got everything in. Please be sure to leave me a message. Mom will read it to me later...
Love to all!
Wednesday, April 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Emma,
I am so glad you got to go to Trader Joe's. I really like that store too. My 3 year old nephew, Donnie, loves to push the carts around. Of course I really have to watch him. He has a tendency to run into other people or put things in his cart I really don't want to buy.
I am sad to hear that your friend has left this life to go to heaven. I am sure God will take good care of her. It is really hard to make sense of things sometimes.
Tell those doctors to keep taking good care of you. I know your family does!!
I will see you this summer. Until then I enjoy reading your blog.
Love,
Dana
Emma,
Sorry to hear about your teacher. Its hard to loose someone you care about and to even understand why. I will pray for her family and friends.
Glad to hear your doctor appointments went well. Sounds like your tummy is better, that is good to hear!
I'll write again another day. Have a great Day! God bless, Sharon
Hi Emma!
It sounds like you have had some really fun days. I like Trader Joe's, too. I'm glad you got a good progress report, too.
I love you!
Aunt Jenny
Addison says "i love you, too"
Post a Comment