Wednesday, March 28, 2007

March 28, 2007

I saw my orthopedic surgeon today in St. Louis. Daddy and Grandma took me to see her. She's a very nice doctor, and I like her a lot. She has worked on my hips on my heels in the past. My bones are so soft (I have osteopenia), that we're trying to avoid future surgeries. My bones just don't heal very well, and my left hip is kind of "squishy," which means that it isn't strong enough to be "normal." I'm taking calcium to help build up my bones, though, so maybe that will help. I kind of sit crooked in my wheelchair, and my mom calls me her little "question mark" because I usually find a way to bend my body to the side to form a question mark, even in my sleep. Yes, I have some scoliosis (curvature of the spine). This is very common among kids like me - the kids who don't walk around and put all that body weight on our hips and legs. I guess gravity just pulls us down at a different angle than all you "up-rights" out there. My scoliosis curve is at about 37% now - a little worse than my last check-up, but not drastically different. Mom and Dad really don't want to have anybody cutting on my back or inserting any rods because I have enough problems already, so I guess we'll all just have to pray that it doesn't get much worse.

My nurse Sandy will be back from vacation tomorrow. While she was off in the sunshine of Corpus Christi, my Grandma and I played a lot and read lots and lots of books. Grandma likes to brush my hair - a lot. Mom calls me "Sister Golden Hair." Grandma says my hair is just like spun silk. I hope to grow it out long enough one day that I can donate some of it to a girl who lost her hair with cancer treatments. (If you have long enough hair, you can donate it to Locks of Love and give a kid a nice head of hair.) Mom says my hair has to be long enough that she can still make a pony tail after it's cut off. Hmmm. I think it will be a while before it's that long.

Love to you all! Thank you for your prayers. Keep 'em heading straight up to heaven, and one day God just may snap those giant fingers to make a miracle happen!

No comments: