Saturday, June 16, 2007

Saturday, June 16, 2007

My mom rocked me in the rocking chair for four hours today, then Dad took over and rocked me for another hour. I was SO GLAD to be home where I am treated like royalty (which only makes sense, since I am a princess).

I've added a picture at the bottom of this screen, so be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom to see it. You can see a picture of the CT scan of my chest compared to a "normal" 9-year old. When you're looking at the picture, keep in mind that you're seeing the lungs, the spinal cord, and the sternum. The pictures aren't in the exact same "slice" so you can't sing the "wings" of my vertebrae like you can on the other kid, but it's pretty darn close to the same place. On the other kid, you can see a nice, round airway. On mine, you see my trach tube kind of off a bit to the side, and then you see some "smashed" looking bronchial tubes. I have 1.6 centimeters of space between my sternum (chest bone) and spinal cord, so everything is really cram-packed inside my body, which causes some rather extreme problems. From what I understand, the problems will just get worse as I continue to grow. My organs will try to get bigger, but my chest won't necessarily be growing with them. This is not a good thing. Most of the time, though, I just don't think about things like that. You know why? Because my family loves me so much, and I have such great nurses who also love me, and I have a whole lot of friends who love me, and Thor loves me. (He's been licking my legs today. I think he missed me while I was in the hospital.)

Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to worry about tomorrow. We have to just live for today and for the moments that make us smile, right?

Love to you all! I'll check in again sometime - maybe next weekend. Until we talk again - take care of yourself and smile a lot. Okay?

P.S. Please continue to pray for Grant and Cullen, the baby boy twins at St. Johns. They need to grow some more and get stronger before they can come home to live with their mom and dad. Also pray for my teacher, Kelly, who has been moved to a rehab center in St. Louis so that she can start working on getting feeling back in her legs. Thank you for your prayers.

5 comments:

Jen said...

We're soooo glad you're home, Emma. You take care of yourself! We'll see you soon!

Aunt Jenny, Cousin Addison, and Uncle Ryan

Anonymous said...

Emmie honey,
It is so wonderful to have you back home again. I'ii be ther to love on you and take care of you ,Tuesday, Ok sweetie ?
Love you so much,
Grandma

Anonymous said...

Emma,

I am so excited that you are back home. I loved getting to visit and sing to you at the hospital. You have a great brother. I can tell he loves his little sister a lot. What a great Father's Day gift you gave to your dad--being home!
You are such a beautiful sweet girl. It is so easy to see why soooo many people love you. Make sure your mom and dad give you a kiss from me.

Love,
Dana

Joy and Rob said...

Ms. Emma,

We are very happy that you are at home now - and we know you are too!

There is no place like home.

You take care and be happy.

Love, Joy and Rob

Anonymous said...

Emma,

I am SO glad you're feeling better and back home! Your blog sure does a good job of keeping people informed about how you're doing!
My husband, Ceth, and my children Ashleigh, Madeline and Isaac just spent a week in Belize, Central America. We did a lot of snorkeling (did you know Belize has the 2nd largest barrier reef in the world?), we even went to one spot where you could snorkel with (nurse) sharks and stingrays! And we saw millions of fish in every color you can imagein, blue, purple, red, orange, checkered, striped, etc. We also visited the Mayan ruins at Altun Ha, which were built about 2,000 years ago. I would like to send you some pictures, but I am not very computer savvy! If I figure it out, I will send them! Again, I'm so glad you're back home again with everyone you love!
Elizabeth